Borrowing from the old Republican riff, Donald Trump has released his own contract with America. I’ve pasted it below with editorial annotations.
DONALD J. TRUMP CONTRACT WITH THE AMERICAN VOTER
What follows is my 100-day action plan to make America great again. It is a contract between myself and the American voter – and begins with restoring honesty, accountability and change to Washington.
Therefore, on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:
● FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;
✅ A liberal will consume the life force of three missing orphans to continue their work for decades. In contrast, conservatives have about a two term half-life before growing into liberals. Shunting both of them back into the citizenry they quickly come to despise is a positive step.
● SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
🗿I’m more concerned with what HUD is allowed to do than with how many LGBTQs it employees.
● THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;
😐 This isn’t a necessarily bad idea, though it exists as more of a conservative milk bone than anything actually addressing structural weaknesses. The problem with Liberia is not over-regulation.
● FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
➕ Good, but not good enough. Eric Cantor was justifiably ejected from office, only to land in $3.5million/year of plush Wall Street padding. That’s probably not covered under the rubric of lobbying. This sort of engineered soft-landing for dutiful donor water boys has to be extirpated entirely if mere citizens ever hope to gain the attention of their representatives.
● FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
😎 Absolutely. Better yet, require the “American” agents of foreign governments to renounce their citizenship and serve their masters honestly.
● SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
👍🏻 This shouldn’t even be a question.
On the same day, I will begin taking the following 7 actions to protect American workers:
* FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205
* SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
😗 Also good.
* THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator
💩 Every country is a “currency manipulator” to the extent it has the capacity.
* FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately
😴 And like every other candidate, we will cut waste, fraud, and abuse.
* FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars’ worth of job- producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.
❓ I’d have to research what restrictions he’s referring to. Though if there are any that presently inhibit oil fracking directly beneath Wolf Blitzer’s house, then I support immediate repeal.
* SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward
🙂 A worthy endeavor.
* SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America’s water and environmental infrastructure
👹 I don’t know how many billions we allegedly owe the UN for global warming change, though this is a canny troll to redirect those outlays from abstract climate-tithing to funding tangible projects that directly bear on the real world environment.
Additionally, on the first day, I will take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:
* FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama.
🤔 Great idea, though “unconstitutional” doesn’t have any objective meaning, and so could be used to qualify the decision to not rescind any or all of Obama’s edicts.
* SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States
🏛 Yes, good. Just no Kennedy, Souter, O’Connor, or Roberts, please.
* THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities
😄 Followed by occupation of federal troops. It’s time some non-Southern cities get to experience this.
* FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won’t take them back
🚷 Good of course, but why the redundancy? They’re criminal by virtue of being an illegal alien. And there’s going to be a much larger number than two million of them.
* FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.
🗿 I don’t know what vetting actually means in this context.
Are you or any of your 12 sons terrorists, Ahmed?
I’ll take that as a “no,” please move forward.
Next, I will work with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measures and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of my Administration:
1. Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act. An economic plan designed to grow the economy 4% per year and create at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy. The largest tax reductions are for the middle class. A middle-class family with 2 children will get a 35% tax cut. The current number of brackets will be reduced from 7 to 3, and tax forms will likewise be greatly simplified. The business rate will be lowered from 35 to 15 percent, and the trillions of dollars of American corporate money overseas can now be brought back at a 10 percent rate.
💳 This is an amplified version of supply-side Reaganomics. And one of the huge sops Trump offered Republicans to garner their support. Would you say it’s been effective in that intended purpose? Though it’s largely a political gesture being shoe-horned into public policy. If you want to lower the tax burden, you must lower spending. Because spending always requires payment, by either tax, debt, or inflation. All of which ultimately extracts purchasing power from the citizenry. If a politician actually lowers government spending, only then do I believe he’s interested in lowering taxes.
2. End The Offshoring Act Establishes tariffs to discourage companies from laying off their workers in order to relocate in other countries and ship their products back to the U.S. tax-free.
✊🏻Yes. Build every widget you like in the Sudan. And then do your best to sell them there.
3. American Energy & Infrastructure Act. Leverages public-private partnerships, and private investments through tax incentives, to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over 10 years. It is revenue neutral.
💀 Whatever that means.
4. School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to gives parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to communities.
😶 I am enthusiastic about ending common core and re-localizing education supervision. Which means the Education Department becomes even more superfluous than it is. Though what do you think will become of your child’s Good School once Sheniqua is armed with education vouchers?
5. Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.
👉🏻 The function of Obamacare was to fail, as it is, thus ushering in a no-other-recourse but to a single-payer system. HSAs are a nice alternative, though I’m not sure what covers high-cost conditions. Also, if a planner ever wants to lower the cost of any industry, including healthcare, he must devise a system that makes consumers directly responsive to prices. This incentivizing a collective pursuit of lower cost care options. As it is, a hypothetical Senator Graham would have no care at all as to the price of his transition hormones.
6. Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act. Allows Americans to deduct childcare and elder care from their taxes, incentivizes employers to provide on-side childcare services, and creates tax-free Dependent Care Savings Accounts for both young and elderly dependents, with matching contributions for low-income families.
✅ It’s a good idea. Lowering the costs of family formation for the producer class is critical.
7. End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2 -year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.
🛂 Yes, yes, but what of the million+ we import legally every year?
8. Restoring Community Safety Act. Reduces surging crime, drugs and violence by creating a Task Force On Violent Crime and increasing funding for programs that train and assist local police; increases resources for federal law enforcement agencies and federal prosecutors to dismantle criminal gangs and put violent offenders behind bars.
🚮 There’s few better gigs than getting appointed to a well-compensated “task force.”
9. Restoring National Security Act. Rebuilds our military by eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment; provides Veterans with the ability to receive public VA treatment or attend the private doctor of their choice; protects our vital infrastructure from cyber-attack; establishes new screening procedures for immigration to ensure those who are admitted to our country support our people and our values.
💸 The US navy has more aircraft carriers than the rest of the world combined. But what if you add in those on Neptune? Rather than rebuilding our military, I’d like to see the term redeploy. To our border rather than Iraq’s.
10. Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.
🚽 I don’t know what this means.
But I do know who I’ll be voting for on Election Day.